Monday, August 13, 2012

A stroll with Goethe

“If someone isn't what others want them to be, the others become angry. Everyone seems to have a clear idea of how other people should lead their lives, but none about his or her own.” 

Recently, I was reminded of the fact that not everyone I love supports my vision, dreams and aspirations. For me, this summer has been one of great joy, filled with horses, children, friendship, learning and the tremendous sense of contentment that only the pursuit of knowledge, skill and a goal, combined with physical labour, can produce. There have been challenges, sacrifices and dramas (many of them I suspect self-inflicted), and it has been worth every moment. 

It's a summer that I have worked hard to sustain, committed to fully; and I am blessed with wonderful friends, coaches and mentors who have appeared to help make it so. It is a summer filled with joy and learning, and it is the first steps toward a realizing a dream. 

Written on the walls of my bedroom are the words "magic", "joy", "believe" and "bliss". When the kids and I first put those letters up, we talked about the meaning of those words. We agreed that, as Goethe suggested, magic is the act of believing in yourself. If you can do that, you can make anything happen. The joy is in the journey; the journey's conclusion? Bliss.

When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.  The joys of the summer are a both an acknowledgement of and a headfirst plunge into a strong current. I am deeply grateful for it, and I very much hope it will carry me to places I have not yet dreamed of.  



Maktub!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive