Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Serendipity and the Working Dog Saloon

Yesterday, I wrote a post about paying attention to recurring themes. Sometimes they require deep insight, and sometimes, it's just the universe's way of saying "go and get your game on, girl."

As some may know, I have started my own business. Two actually. The first is a global telecom and energy business (shameless plug: http://simpleabundance.acndirect.com) and the second, which is slowly ramping up, is allaboutponies.com, a social media company focused on helping drive the success of equestrian businesses and rescues. I am learning quickly that part of being a business owner is coming out of my basement dungeon (literally and figuratively) and reconnecting with the world. It's a slow process, and it will be a transformative one.

But I digress :) Back to serendipity and the Working Dog Saloon. Reaching out is reconnecting me with many of the wonderful people in my life. Julia Plover is one of these wonderful people. She is incredibly caring, vivid, committed, interesting, and with the right mix of wild that is so important. And, through our reconnection, she has invited me to Larry's Hair Cut Fundraiser for the Scarborough Women's Center on April 17 at the Working Dog Saloon.

In the 20-something years I have lived in Toronto, 15 of them in the neighbourhood of the Working Dog Saloon, I have never heard of the pub, or passed it's doors. Today, less than 12 hours after Julia's invitation, Groupon has sent me their offer of the day:  56% off pub fare at the Working Dog Saloon.

Beauty shot of the Working Dog Saloon. Check out the handsome Malamute over the fireplace!

For those of you who have never heard of the Working Dog Saloon, the pub takes its name from trhe owners’ pack of six rescued malamutes, who make cameo appearances around the pub. It's is billed as a saloon that dishes out animal advocacy alongside its menu of pub fare.

Sometimes the universe is subtle, sometimes, not so much. A fundraiser to help women at a place that advocates for animals. Dogs actually on site. This mom of  two rescue dogs, a rescue bunny, and soon, a rescue OTTB is occasionally more obtuse than one could imagine, but when the universe throws a "would you hit a man with a glasses? No, I'd hit him with a brick!" moment at me, even I know to sit up and pay attention.  I will be saving my shekels for the Scarborough Women's Centre and can be found at the Working Dog Saloon on April 17.

Julius H. Comroe once described serendipity as "looking for a needle in a haystack and getting out of it with the farmer's daughter." I have no idea what adventures are in store for the evening, but know that this is a serendipitous recipe for success. Pics of Larry's head (before an after) to follow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive